Gen-R, formerly known as Robo Academy, is a local robotics interest group that is made up of mainly youth volunteers. The group was established in 2007 and has recently been registered as a Society in Singapore. From 2008 to 2014, Gen-R hosted four runs of the World Robo Tournament (WRT) with resounding success. In 2015, WRT was rebranded into the Singapore Tech Challenge (STC) as the group looks into expanding the competition with other opportunities in future.
Apart from hosting WRT and STC, Gen-R has also been involved in the following activities:
1. Conducted a robotics workshop for students from the Society for the Physically Disabled (SPD) – 2010. This workshop was done in collaboration with Tribal Studioz, Infocomm Accessibility Centre and Juying Primary School.
2. Conducted a 3-days App Inventor workshop for NewAge Alpha Hackathon -2015
Moving forward, Gen-R aims to expand into hosting such IT-related workshops for the community with any excess revenue generated from our core activities.
Our guiding principles
At Gen-R, our decisions and actions are guided by the motto, vision and objectives set out for the group:
Our motto: For youths, by youths
Our vision: To develop youths in leadership, volunteerism and philanthropy through involving youths in organizing community outreach programs and activities.
– Provide opportunities for youths to develop leadership and event management skills through hosting competitions, workshops and other activities.
– Generate interest in the field of Robotics and, through it, strengthen relationships among people.
– Increase Infocomm Technology (IT) literacy in the community.